Paper Arts and Crafts for Children
Level: Junior, Middle School, High School
Grades: Gr. 3 and up | Age: 8yrs and up| : Mary Breveleri
[Mary is from Springfield, Massachusetts]
Learn the art of rolling, shaping and gluing paper together to create beautiful pictures.Objectives:
- Students will learn about paper quilling and the art of rolled paper. They will also investigate patterns and forms found in nature.
- Students will talk about paper quilling. Intricate paper rolling work was a hobby in the 18th century.
- Students will create a work of quilled art.
- Students will learn to appreciate the art created not only by them, but by others as well.
- paper shredder (optional)
- scissors or a paper cutter
- construction paper (various colors)
- Discuss paper quilling and its history (see resources below)
- Shred paper in shredder ... children love to help.
- You could instead cut construction paper into thin strips - about 1/2" wide
- Give children a handful of paper and let them practice making a tight roll.
- Children can make a tiny fold at one end of the paper, and roll it all the way to the end.
- Encourage your students to let go of the spiralled roll a little, so there is a little space between the turns of the roll.
- The rolls can be secured with glue.
- Rolls can be round or oval in shape. Round rolls can be pinched at either end to make flower petal shapes.
- You can make many other shapes by pinching the roll in different areas.
- You can glue shapes together to make flowers, insects, animals ... etc.
- It is important to assemble the rolls on the cardboard so that the spirals are visible, not the edge of the roll.or glue them to a pin back or barrette.
- Students can also hang rolls from bits of string (a mobile perhaps?)
- Work that is more delicate in nature can be done with narrow 1/8" strips of thinner paper. This paper can be rolled on a toothpick and pinched into elaborate shapes.
- You can keep the quilled work looking fresh by spraying it with a mixture of glue and water - 80% water - 20% glue. You can use hairspray as well. (Make sure you test a small piece of paper first to see if the colors bleed before you spray the entire piece.)
History of Quilling
The history of quilling dates back 500 years ...
The Book of Paper Quilling
by Malinda Johnston
Create beautiful, decorative items with paper quilling, the art of arranging small paper scrolls in delicate designs. Try all of these more than 50 stunning projects, each complete with step-by-step instructions, patterns, and color photographs.
The Craft of Paper Quilling
by Janet Wilson
Rainy Day Activity : How to Make Playdough, Bubbles, Monster Repellent and More!
by Jennifer Rader
Rader has created a children's activity cookbook that's perfect for children of all ages. Children can learn how to make play dough, jewelry, puzzles, games, face paint, and much, much more.
Family Fun Crafts : 500 Creative Activities for You and Your Kids
by: The Editors of FamilyFun Magazine
Creating by Recycling (Crafts for All Seasons)See also:
- Specifications and information about navo3 sodium metavanadate.
- TVE prepara Hora punta de Javier Cardenas para finales del mes.
- Conoces a Javier Cardenas una persona famosa por sus programas TV?
- A command line robocopy open files inspired by Microsoft's Robocopy.
- Con estos pack multiaventura nieve disfrutaras de todas nuestras actividades
- El famoso programa de javier cardenas, presentador, cantante y locutor de radio.
- 5 Stage Fiber Ultrafiltration Water Purifier uf mineral water filter Machine,US.